Monday, July 9, 2007

Don't Wake the Giant

Right now I am sitting in strategic management class. I don't know if it's the nature of the class or the idiots in it, but everyone (of the 80 students) has got to add their stupid little anecdotal irrelevant personal stories to every case and example. It lengthens the class by approximately one hour. I do not want to spend an extra hour with you oxygen stealers.

Here's a sample: Discussing Home Depot strategy, and some attention whore in the front row raises her hand and talks about how terrible Home Depot was because they screwed up her microwave.

I gave her a look that said, "Hey crazy face, what the HELL does this have to do with corporate strategy and marketing?"

Somehow, this devolves into a symposium of whining about shitty customer service. Some dude starts kvetching about his tv from Sony. Snore.

All of this whining...wakes the giant.

The giant is a very annoying guy with some warped opinions. He is about 7 feet tall and covered in facial hair. He talks loudly and for what seems like an eternity. Whenever there is a class discussion he has to share some freak ideology and present it as accepted law. There was the corporate lettuce farming conspiracy, and the statement that "If you slap an American label on it, the Chinese will buy anything."

The giant wakes and does not bother to raise his hand, just interrupts the prof, talking about Wal Mart.

"Take Wal Mart for example. You don't shop at Wal Mart because you want to. You shop at Wal Mart because you HAVE TO. But I don't buy my suits there no no. I buy my ties at Macy's."

After some more incoherent rambling, the giant finally slumbers again...until next time.

Oh PS -- some guy showed up and his wife just had a baby this evening. And he comes to CLASS?? What a loser. I bet his wife is so proud she married such a loving and caring guy.

3 comments:

Ehsan said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Ehsan said...

so MBA people feel that way too? I always thought every single MBA/industrial engineering student loves these talks.

hmm, maybe that's cause of your engineer background.

Anonymous said...

Hello. This post is likeable, and your blog is very interesting, congratulations :-). I will add in my blogroll =). If possible gives a last there on my blog, it is about the Wireless, I hope you enjoy. The address is http://wireless-brasil.blogspot.com. A hug.